Your Final Year!
Internship: General Information
The industrial placement (BPP) is a mandatory part of the program. According to the examination regulations, the duration of the mandatory internship is 26 weeks for the PO 20190 students and from 19 - 26 weeks for PO 2012 students, respectively. During the internship the status as a student remains untouched.
In virtually all cases, the internship and the Master Thesis are executed at a company. It is the responsibility of each student to apply regularly to potential companies to find a placement or a job for the Master Thesis.
During the winter semester, a mandatory information meeting will be organised providing information and guidance for the application process.
Before you start with your internship, please make sure that you fulfil the following formal requirements.
- German language test: At least A1 or higher
- 30 Credits Points (45 CP recommended)
- Preliminary Seminar
In case you have prior working experience, the internship may be shortened. Please contact the BPP responsible Prof. Krauss for details.
During the winter semester, a mandatory information meeting will be organised providing information and guidance for the application process. You will be informed about the date.
Process for Admission and Execution
1. Preparation Steps
- Attend preliminary seminar (information meeting).
- Find industrial company.
- Find academic supervisor.
- Fulfil requirements for admission.
2. Application for Admission via Form Sheet
- Fill section with your personal data of the form sheet.
- Fill section with company data and duration of the internship and sign it.
- Get confirmation that the prerequisites are fulfilled from the MSE examination secretariat (Ms. Taddayoni) and your academic supervisor.
- Submit your form sheet to the MSE examination secretariat (Ms. Taddayoni) when you got all signatures. Your internship will be registered in QIS.
- Execute your BPP internship in the company.
4. Acknowledgement of the Internship
- Submit your internship report to your academic supervisor. Here you find a guideline for internship reports.
- Submit a certificate of you company to your academic supervisor.
- Your academic supervisor will acknowledge your successful execution of the BPP internship
How to Find Companies
You may use the following starting points to find open positions:
- Joboffers received at the faculty can be found here
- Companies jobportals - especially bigger companies will offer this service
- The H-DA job portal
- The following portal especially for master thesis: www.die-masterarbeit.de
- General job portal like Stepstone or Monster (sometimes the offers are not up to date, unfortunately)
And last but not least every student has the option to look for international positions, e.g. in your home country.
Although there is no "the one and only right way" on how to write an application, there are many mistakes which should be avoided when applying at a German company.
The most important rule is: Be specific.
- Why do you want to work for THIS company.
- Why should the company select YOU.
Inform yourself upfront about the company and the position. Try to meet the company representatives. Pick up the phone and try to talk to them before you apply. Avoid flowery statements in the cover letter and mention only those aspects which are relevant for this position. Never copy and paste application letters, every letter has to be unique! The letter is a buisiness letter, format it accordingly. Avoid spelling and grammar mistakes.
Some useful documents:
Training Material from the Intercultural Forum
The report for the BPS and Master Thesis are official examination documents and therefore should be written with the same care. Please read the following guideline document carefully before starting to write your report.
Master Thesis: General Information
The Master Thesis is a part of the concluding modul, which contains the master thesis and a colloquium. It is foreseen for the 3rd (MSEIT) / 4th (IMSEIT) semester.
The Master's dissertation should demonstrate that the candidate is able to independently process a problem drawn from the field of electrical engineering and information technology, using scientific methods, within a set deadline. The processing time is 6 months. The thesis shall be written in German or English and always features a summary in English. For further information, please check the examamination regulations (ABPO and BBPO).
Before you can start with your Master Thesis, a formal admission procedure by the examination board is required. Here you find the form sheet for your admission. Please make sure that you fulfil the following formal requirements.
Information for Companies
Here we provide some answers to frequently asked questions concerning the mandatory internship (BPP) and master thesis.
After you have successfully finished your study, you have to request your final certificate at the examination secretariat using this request form. You can submit it in person, drop it in the mailbox in front of the office doors in the 4th floor or send it via email.
You will receive your graduation documents as soon as possible at the Examination Office (Schöfferstr. 3, C10, 11.32). You will be notified via email when your documents are ready to pick up.
If you cannot pick up your documents in person, you can assign another person with a written authorization. This person has to identify himself. There is also the possibility to get your documents via post: The Examination Office needs a written request with your address and your signature. Please attach stamps worth € 3,95 with your letter.
You will be automatically exmatriculated at the end of the semester. You will get your exmatriculation confirmation letter via post. If you would like to exmatriculate yourself before, please get in contact with the Student Service Center.
Furthermore you will be invited to the "Absolventenfeier", the final graduation ceremony in which you will receive the faculty's congratulation.
Prof. Dr. Herbert Krauß
Digitale Systeme (Hard- u. Software), Übertragungssysteme, Signalverarbeitung, Mobilkommunikation
Während VL-Zeit im SS 20: Montag 16:15-17:45 Uhr Online-Sprechstunde, siehe https://lernen.h-da.de/blog/index.php?userid=8390