Start of program:
Winter semester only
15.12. until 31.03.
Notification of Acceptance:
Until 15.04 (through KOPLA only)
Sending Certified Copies:
simplification of process - no sending of docs required
Transmission of Admission Letter by the Faculty:
01.05. until 15.05. per email
Application for Accommodation:
01.03. until 15.06.
Start of Mandatory Pre-Semester Courses:
Checklist: Admission Requirements
We provide excellent education and we look for excellent students. As a prerequisite for applying, you need
- A bachelor degree in electrical engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 180 ECTS.
- The recognition of the degree / university by the Central Office for Foreign Education Systems (Anabin database).
- An English language certificate.
We do not have a mandatory GPA, as marks alone are hard to compare. Instead, all students will be assessed by our admission board individually. For an admission, we will check your application in detail, and will scrutinize specifically on your background in Electrical Engineering, and there again in specific sub-fields of special relevance to our master and the chosen major.
Working experience as well as relevant trainings are considered beneficial. There is no explicit German language requirement for getting admission, but again, German knowledge is considered advantageous for the application. And last but not least we will evaluate your motivation - explained in your motivation letter.
The following documents (English or German) are required for the online application:
- An up to date and complete CV following the Europass standard
- A copy of your passport
- Two letters of recommendation from a professor or employer
- Your degree certificate
- Your language certificate (English mandatory, German optional)
- Secondary school certificate
- Statement of intent / Motivation letter
- Transcripts of records
In case you do not yet own a final certificate, a provisional certificate can be provided in the meantime. If you have not finished yet your bachelor degree, you should provide an official letter from your university stating when you will finish your bachelor degree.
Please note, that incomplete or incorrect documents may lead to a disqualification from our program.
It is recommended, although not mandatory, to have all copies of the original documents certified. Translated documents must be certified. The following certifications are accepted from:
- a German representation, or
- a public notar
Applicants are required to qualify in one of the following valid tests of English as a foreign language:
- TOEFL internet based score 88 or better
- IELTS (academic or general) minimum band score 6,5 or better
Language of tuition is not accepted.
The TOEFL certificate may also be sent electronically from the TOEFL institute to the Hochschule Darmstadt. Our TOEFL Institutional Code is 4776, our department code is Electrical Engineering 66.
Our application-portal is designed for the application process of our applicants and the communication with them. Applicants will be selected by the department application board, based on academic and professional records. As we have around 1500 applications every year, which are evaluated, please carefully understand and follow the rules below:
- We will only consider complete and in-time applications send to us through KOPLA. An application via Uni-Assist or Email is not possible.
- Only one application for one major per student is allowed. Entering more than one application may lead to a direct disqalification. Make sure to select the right program and semester.
- The process as well as typical FAQ's are described in the help document provided in KOPLA. Please check this document before contacting our staff.
- Information is only provided via KOPLA. No additional mails are being sent. Make sure to track your status in regular intervalls.
Enter your personal data and upload your application documents through the online portal(check the Europass page for information about the application in Europe).
The electronic documents will be checked by the application board of the department.
Once your records have been accepted by the application board, you will have to pay the application fee.
After your payment of the administration fee, you will receive an official enrolment letter per email which allows you immediately to apply for your visa and funds.
After your electronic admission, please download your invoice and pay the admission fee . Details on fees and deadlines are provided on our application portal "KOPLA". Once we have received the admission fee, we will send the admission letter per email.
Please download your invoice for each fee and pay within the deadline. Late fees will not be considered.
More about tuition and fees