City registration / residence permit
Please note the new address of the Foreigners' Office:
from March 7, 2022 onwards:
Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 7:30 h-12:30 h
Wed: 8:30 h - 12:30 h + 14:00 h - 18:00 h
We recommend that you take a friend who speaks German with you to your appointment or a translator of the Intercultural Tutors Team - ITT.
When moving to Germany you must register your address with the authorities within 14 days of arrival. In German it is called Anmeldung.
When leaving Germany or you move to another city you must deregister again. In German it is called Abmeldung.
You need the residence registration document to:
- open a bank account
- matriculate at the university
- conclude contracts
- obtain a residence authorisation.
Residence registration / Anmeldung
The residence registration is handled at offices called "Einwohnerwesen und Wahlen".
Appointments available: https://www.darmstadt.de/rathaus/online-dienste/terminvergabe-einwohnermeldeamt/
Postfach 11 10 61
Office hours: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 7:30 h - 12:30 h / Wed: 8:30 h -12:30 h + 14:00 h - 18:00 h
Documents for the appointment:
- Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (landlord’s confirmation of residence)
- Marriage certificate as well as birth certificate as original document and certified translation (if applicable).
You need a translator for the meeting?
or use the contact form.
We recommend that you take a friend who speaks German or a translator of the Intercultural Tutors Team - ITT to the appointment.
Follow the process of the Information leaflet.
from March 7, 2022 onwards:
Office hours: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 7:30 h-12:30 h / Wed: 8:30 h - 12:30 h + 14:00 h - 18:00 h
A current version of the following documents must be submitted at regular intervals when applying for a residence permit or its extension:
- valid national passport
- biometric passport photograph
- Certificate of language course / university registration
- Proof of ability to cover the costs of living (e.g. blocked account, salary document of the last 3 months - min. salary 861€ per month) . Sufficient financal means for covering the costs of living must be available (at present 853.00 Euros per month).
- Proof of health insurance cover
Granting and extensions of a residence permit is always subject to charges.
Following application for a residence title, you will usually receive a temporary permit (fictional certificate) in accordance with sec. 81 (4) residence act (AufenthG) which can be used for leaving and entering the country.
The aliens authority will contact you in writing when your electronic residence permit (eAT) is ready for collection. (No appointment is required for collection).
Fiktionsbescheinigung (fictional certificate) / Aufenthaltsbescheinigung (resident permit)
Persons who have entered Germany with a valid visa are staying in the country legally.
- Your stay in Germany is deemed to be lawful (legal) until the Foreigners' Office has decided on your application for a residence title.
- If you submit your application for a residence title late, after the expiry of the validity of your visa, deportation is deemed to be suspended from the time of submission of the application until the decision of the Foreigners' Office.
- If you meet all the requirements, the Foreigners' Office will send you a certificate by post confirming the fictitious effect of your application for a residence title (fictional certificate).
- After receiving your application, the Foreigners' Office will contact you to arrange an appointment.
- The electronic residence permit will be issued then.