Upon your arrival our student guides will pick you up at the airport and help you to get to your accommodation when you booked your accommodation through us. They will accompany you to the University and will be at your side for the next few days to help you find your way in your new surroundings.
Update for Late arrivals - New Process from October onwards -
As of October 1st our student guides are no longer available. If you do not want to travel alone from Frankfurt to Darmstadt, please contact a friend or fellow student or ask simply in the students Whatsapp Group if they can help you.
Please inform the housing agency about your arrival. You have to count approx. 3 hours from your arrival time until move-in. Make a move-in appointment with the housing agency and put email@example.com in cc. Thank you for your cooperation.
Before you book your flight please consider the following:
- Take out a travel insurance valid until the beginning of the semester. Your mandatory health insurance starts only with the beginning of the semester.
- The housing agencies have a lot of move-ins and move-outs as you are not the only student arriving in Darmstadt. You can only move-in with a move-in appointment. Therefore follow the process:
- Our arrival process starts in August. All arrivals which come before September 10 will follow the process as described in the message you received 01. August.
- Important: please update us if you receive your visa. Fill-in the form once again. We coordinate the move-in and pick-up on the bases of arrivals with a valid visa.
- If you come after September 15 please inform the faculty additionally via email about your arrival to firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a special process then. If you will live in Darmstadt, please fill-in the arrival form and the visa form even if you did not take housing with us.
- If you arrive early September (before September 15), you will be contacted either by the faculty or the housing agency directly to get a move-in appointment. If you are coming later, please contact your housing agency and book a move-in appointment by yourself.
- Please respect the business hours of your respective housing agency. Late arrivals can only move-in the next possible weekday. Please consider approx. 3 hours to get from the baggage claim, through customs until your residence. We usually tell students: if you come at 9am you are safe to move-in. Later than 9am is already difficult. Later than 11am is not feasable. Please inform your housing agency in case you cannot keep your appointment. In this case please book a room with the youth hostel in Darmstadt or Frankfurt. Please note that you need to make your reservation well in advance as you are not the only late arrival.
Upon your Arrival:
- You will sign the original housing contract at the move-in date. Your keys will be issued and you will get a hand-over checklist which has to be signed by you.
- The most move-outs and move-ins take place on the same day. There is possibility that there are damages in the room. With the key issuing you will receive a handover-checklist. Damages have to be reported and the report has to be signed and sent within the next few days to your housing agency. Please include pictures of the damages. Otherwise the amount of the damage will be deducted from your deposit after your moving out. Make sure to make an appointment with the housing agency to have the damages repaired in due time. Therefore you have to submit your mobile number to the housing agency.
In September our student guides will fetch you from the airport provided that you inserted your data in the arrival form and in the visa form in time.
We check the lists regularly. You will be contacted about the pick-up and the move-in shortly before your arrival.
If you did not pay the housing fee please check, if the student guides are at the airport to help you. Otherwise follow the description below:
Take the AirLiner airport shuttle bus to Darmstadt central station which runs every 30 to 60 minutes from 4am to 11pm. Darmstadt is only 30 minutes away from Frankfurt/Main airport. The schedule is available on the website of the Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund.
You will find AirLiner bus stops at Terminal 1 and 2.
- Pick up your luggage on the arrivals level (downstairs)
- The AirLiner stop is located outside across the street (arrival area B), gate 14
- Pick up your luggage on the arrivals level
- You will find the AirLiner stop on the street level, arrivals area D & E
Please be aware that you can only purchase the ticket from the bus driver and you have to pay in cash (about 10 €).
Please find below the link to our Pre-Semester Planning for the Winter Semester 2023/2024 starting in September.
We will stream our Welcome Event. Here you will be informed about all necessary details for the next month. Please note that the event is in German Time.
Following to your email to the TK, a mailing with a one-time password for uploading the photo will be sent to you by post.
Those students of you, who are over 30 years old, please contact your health insurance provider directly to get a card.
IMPORTANT: Please do not forget to create a SEPA mandate for the health insurance fee. Without payment you will be exmatriculated.
All international students from non-EU countries are required to meet their own living costs while studying in Germany. You may use a blocked account to finance your studies in Germany. The money on this account cannot be withdrawn until you have arrived in Germany. This kind of account is necessary for obtaining/extending your student visa. To apply please make sure that you begin well in advance either with Deutsche Bank or Fintiba.
On your arrival:
To pay invoices or your rent you will need an account with a German bank institution.
You may open a bank account with any German bank. Please inquire about possible account maintenance charges before opening an account.
Get more information from:
All citizens have must register their place of residence at the registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgerbüro) usually in the town hall.
Once you moved in to your room you must register at the registration office within one week. This applies every time you move. You should keep a copy of the registration confirmation with you at all times. This serves as proof of address and you will need it, when you open a bank account or when you want to become a member of a library.
To register you need your passport or identification card and your tenancy agreement because you have to give details of your housing agency or landlord.
We have organised several group consultations to the city registration in Darmstadt in October. You will be informed about your meeting in September. A student guide will accompany you to the registration appointment.
Students who move to Dieburg may contact the Kreishaus in Dieburg to register.
Register in Darmstadt
Register in Dieburg
Book an appointment: https://www.terminland.de/stadt-dieburg/
For Darmstadt we will make group appointments in November / December for our students.
We strongly recommend that you take a friend who speaks German or a translator of the Intercultural Tutors Team - ITT to the appointment.
Luisencenter / 4th floor
Tel: 06151 - 13 3323
Mon 09:30 - 12:30 | Tue 09:30 - 12:30 and 14:00 - 16:00 | Wed 09:30 - 12:30 | Thu 09:30 - 12:30 | Fri 09:30 - 12:30
A personal visit is only possible with a pre-arranged appointment.
A current version of the following documents must be submitted at regular intervals when applying for a residence permit or its extension:
Valid national passport biometric passport photograph Certificate of language course / university registration Proof of ability to cover the costs of living (e.g. blocked account, salary document of the last 3 months - min. salary 861€ per month) . Sufficient financal means for covering the costs of living must be available (at present 853.00 Euros per month). Proof of health insurance cover
Granting and extensions of a residence permit is always subject to charges.
Following application for a residence title, you will usually receive a temporary permit (fictional certificate) in accordance with sec. 81 (4) residence act (AufenthG) which can be used for leaving and entering the country.
The aliens authority will contact you in writing when your electronic residence permit (eAT) is ready for collection. (No appointment is required for collection).
Fiktionsbescheinigung (fictional certificate) | Aufenthaltsbescheinigung (resident permit)
Persons who have entered Germany with a valid visa are staying in the country legally.
Your stay in Germany is deemed to be lawful (legal) until the Foreigners' Office has decided on your application for a residence title. If you submit your application for a residence title late, after the expiry of the validity of your visa, deportation is deemed to be suspended from the time of submission of the application until the decision of the Foreigners' Office. If you meet all the requirements, the Foreigners' Office will send you a certificate by post confirming the fictitious effect of your application for a residence title (fictional certificate). After receiving your application, the Foreigners' Office will contact you to arrange an appointment. The electronic residence permit will be issued then.
Ausländerbehörde Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg
Tel: 06151 / 881-2030